Snort mailing list archives

external internet/process calls from a preprocessor

From: David Cann <dlcann () engmail uwaterloo ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:55:12 -0400

I've got snort 2.4.4 running inline on a dedicated box, and I'm trying to use the gethostbyname() function to make a simple DNS call when a set of criteria is true. This code is contained in a preprocessor which otherwise works fine. When the criteria are satisfied, the DNS call invariably fails to work; it doesn't time out, it just fails outright, as if it has no access to the internet.

Running the exact same code in a standalone program outside of Snort, works fine. So my backup idea was to invoke a standalone program each time the criteria is met, and pass arguments back and forth. This doesn't seem to work either, it's as if snort disallows such functionality, even when running in daemon mode.

I admit I am a terrible, novice C programmer. But can anybody provide some insight into either A) snort not being able to make DNS calls from a preprocessor, or B) snort not invoking an external process and passing arguments?

Thanks in advance,
--Dave