Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-inline vs. snort with inline ??

From: Matt Jonkman <mjonkman () infotex com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:42:28 -0400

Snort is the tool for most cases, but it does have a steep learning
curve. Thankfully there are a number of howto's out there.

I'd recommend learning snort in a passive mode to start. Figure out how
to tune your rulesets, vars, etc. When you are confident there then
choose a way to block.

Your options for blocking are:
snort_inline
Snortsam  (www.snortsam.net)
Flex response

Flex isn't completely effective. Give Snrotsam and inline a good look.
Both have advantages, depends on your environment.

Nice thing with snortsam is you can share blocks among several devices...

<shameless plug>
Also be sure to hit bleedingsnort.com for the extra rulesets
</shameless plug>

Matt

Michael W Cocke wrote:
You're quick - checked my web site before you replied (I assume)?

I'll stick my neck out and say - based entirely on available info on
setup and maint. here on the web - that snort looks better for my
purposes.  I was just wondering if I was missing something.  I took a
look at the source, but it's so far over my head I got dizzy.  I'm
definitely liking the improved security since my last overhaul (when I
first installed snort), but since I'm looking at doing it again I
thought I'd ask some stupid questions.  Since I am, does anyone know
of another firewall (besides vuurmuur) that works properly with snort
(with inline)?  I can tell you that shorewall is supposed to but
doesn't.

Mike-