Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.4.4 on CentOS 4.3 won't listen on ppp0

From: John Messinger <john_messinger () acslink net au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:58:45 +0800

The /etc/sysconfig/snort script uses a CONF variable that points to the /etc/snort/snort.conf file:

# Where is Snort's configuration file?
# -c {/path/to/snort.conf}
CONF=/etc/snort/snort.conf

The start option in /etc/init.d/snortd is making use of the $CONF variable in the command line that starts snort. Should it not then make use of the output plugin configuration information in the snort.conf file?

At the end of the day, I can remove the RPM and install from source, but I had hoped I could shortcut it somewhat :)

John

Patrick S. Harper wrote:
look at the init script, if i remember right it does not use /etc/snort/snort.conf if you install from RPM. I think it uses something in /etc/sysconfig. but it has been a while. I love RPM's for system management but snort is one of those things i would rather compile for each system personally.

John Messinger wrote:
Joel,

That's the funny thing. It seems to be running fine in daemon mode. This is the syslog output I get when starting it up via the /etc/init.d script: