Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.4.4 on CentOS 4.3 won't listen on ppp0

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:50:19 -0400

John,

Snort never starts, see the Fatal error?
ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/snort.conf:33): ppp0_ADDRESS
Fatal Error, Quitting..

What do you have on line 33?

Joel

On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:35 AM, John Messinger wrote:

Followed the installation guide from the Docs section (Snort, Apache, SSL, PHP, MySQL, and BASE Install on CentOS 4, RHEL 4 or Fedora Core), with the exception that I installed the official Snort 2.4.4 RHEL4 rpms (snort + snort-mysql).

Snort seems to start OK (no errors given anywhere, and syslog shows a good startup), but no sensors are listed in BASE - nada.

Running snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf gives the following output:

***
*** interface device lookup found: eth0
***
Running in IDS mode

Initializing Network Interface eth0

--== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Output Plugins!
Decoding Ethernet on interface eth0
Initializing Preprocessors!
Initializing Plug-ins!
Parsing Rules file /etc/snort/snort.conf

Initializing rule chains...
ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/snort.conf:33): ppp0_ADDRESS
Fatal Error, Quitting..

My snort.conf file defines HOME_NET as $ppp0_ADDRESS. I have modified /etc/sysconfig/snort so that the INTERFACE variable points to ppp0, and also the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd script.

As far as I can tell, snort should be getting called with the -i ppp0 option, but it is still trying to listen on the eth0 interface.

My network setup is a DSL modem connected to eth1, with eth0 being the interface to the private LAN. Yes, the IP address from my ISP is dynamic, not fixed.

If more information is required, please let me know. Appreciate any suggestions as to getting this to work.

Regards,

John

Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security? Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel? cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642