Snort mailing list archives

RE: Inline and stream 4

From: "Pieter Vanmeerbeek" <pieter.vanmeerbeek () able be>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:55:00 +0200

Hi,

As indicated in my previous post we were only sending incoming traffic from
the Internet and DMZ devices through snort.

Following your advise I tried to route all traffic through snort, this is
our setup

INT -- Server with snort -- LAN

I created a jump to QUEUE in iptables in the output, forward and input
table, in other words all combination .

However from the moment a jump in the output table is set, it isn't possible
to make connections, I tested this with an ssh session from the LAN  to the
server and a session from the server to the LAN.

I debugged the last one, running snort with the -v option shows me that
packets are sent to snort as they are logged, however dumping on the secure
lan device of the server shows no packets. Disabling the jump to the QUEUE
statement solves the problem. For some reason a ping to the lan and to the
server seem to work, so I don't think everything is blocked.

I can't seem to find the problem as no alerts are shown. I tried removing
all rules and even all preproccessors from the snort.conf file but still the
same problem. I set the home_net variable to the secure lan IP address and
internet IP address. I used the default snort.conf file with http_inspect
disabled and the stream4 midstream_drop_alerts option on. All rules are set
to drop, but as the problem still exists without any rules in the snort.conf
I don't think a problem exists there.

Is there anything else I can disable/enable to see something more? I even
tried a small program that reads its input from the QUEUE user land end
which just passes its input on. Using this program everything seems to work.

Kind regards,
Pieter