Snort mailing list archives

Re: Download rules

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:41:54 -0400

I suggest you register with Snort.org (it's free), and then you can download the Certified Rules.

The first set of rules "subscription release", requires the purchase of a VRT license in order to get them the day they are released. Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules are the official rules of snort.org. Each rule has been rigorously tested against the same standards the VRT uses for Sourcefire customers.

After 5 days, the rules are available to download for non-subscription holders for free under the second option. (Note the date under the word "RELEASED").

The third set of rules are only updated when a major release of Snort is released.

The fourth set of rules the 'Community Set', contain rules submitted by members of the open source community. While these rules are available 'as is', the VRT performs basic tests to ensure that new rules will not break Snort. These rules are distributed under the GPL and are freely available to all open source Snort users.

Joel

Aguiar Magalhaes wrote:
List,

I´ve installed 2.4 version on FreeBSD 6.0 and I'd like
to know which ruleset is recommended... What is the
best ?

Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules (subscription release)
?

Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules ?

Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules (unregistered user
release) ?

Community Snort Rules ?

Thanks,

Aguiar