Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tuning sfPortscan

From: Alex Gottschalk <agottschalk () letstalk com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:22:28 -0800

Rob Ward wrote:

What I'd like to do, rather than disable the preprocessor, is see only alerts for scans to hosts on our network.

I'm having almost exactly the same issue, and would be very interested to know if anyone has worked out a good solution to this. For the time being, I've disabled the portsweep scan, since that seem to create the greatest number of useless alerts,

Solutions would be what Rob said above, or to be able to filter by port (as in, ignore "portsweeps" to EXTERNAL_NET on ports 80 and 443).

Alex

#include <std-disclaimer.h>

| Alex Gottschalk <agottschalk () letstalk com>      |
| IT Manager/Sysadmin, LetsTalk, Inc.             |