Snort mailing list archives

Can snort send alerts to the mysql database without writing an output file?

From: "Jacob, Raymond A Jr" <raymond.jacob () navy mil>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:12:46 -0500

Question: Can snort send alerts to the mysql database without writing an output file?

Command line:
ids# ./snort.sh start
/usr/local/bin/snort -Dq -dev -o  -A none -K none -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -i mi0 -u user -g group
Starting snort.

relevant portion of snort.conf
ids# sed -n '/^output/p' /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf
output database: log, mysql, user=user dbname=ids password=xxxx host=loca
lhost sensor_name=snort-ids
output database: log, mysql, user=user dbname=ids_archive password=xxxx h
ost=snorthost sensor_name=snort-ids

When I run the above command line, I get no alerts.

When I run the above command line without -A none and -K none I get alerts sent to ids database
i.e./usr/local/bin/snort -Dq -dev -o  -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -i mi0 -u user -g group

When I run with the -A none  I get the pcap files but no alerts sent to ids database.

Someone said  try the -Y option that did not work in 2.4.3.

Thank you for your help,
Raymond