Snort mailing list archives

Re: flow_depth and WMF exploit

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:05:47 +1300

Jason wrote:
You need to use a proxy that can actually enforce this behavior, cache
the results, and speed up the handling while providing content filtering.

Ahhh! Welcome back application proxies!!! All is forgiven! Bad stateful
firewall - bad! ;-)

It is ironic. When I started out in this industry, application proxies
were the only real way to control Internet access. Then the firewall
industry convinced us that stateful firewalls (and I will include NIDS
in that as a related effect) could do everything they could - and at
wire speed.

And now here we are saying "network devices" can't do what's needed.
What will happen next - they return of vinyl ? ;-)

(now where did I keep my copy of fwtk?)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417