Snort mailing list archives

Re: flow_depth and WMF exploit

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:20:40 -0600

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 12:11 -0500, Jason wrote:
At no point in time was an IDS/IPS _designed_ to handle client side
attacks or the myriad of options for encodings, file formats,
compression, embedding... that exist on the client side. This function
has and will remain a responsibility of software on the host.
Traditionally this has been AV and unfortunately they have been failing
to respond effectively.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I didn't say this at all. Matter
the fact, I said the same thing you said in a different email.

The assertion that IPS is less capable of performing the task it is
designed for is fallacious and only highlights the complete lack of
understanding in the market of the technology.

Not quite. IPSes that claim to inspect traffic at wire speed (that
includes server responses), are less capable of performing the
inspection tasks at higher speeds when the workload is increased by also
having to decode the data first from various encoding formats. (Proxies
are better suited for that since they were designed from day one as a
accept-and-forward type device.)

I'm not talking about your rate-limiters and profile based IPSes.
Actually, we didn't even venture into the I_P_S arena at all, and
purposefully so. Please don't lead us there, especially not with
dismissing comments like above.

-Frank

--
against your ports.