Snort mailing list archives

Re: modifying priority on certain rules

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:15:28 -0600

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 11:42 -0500, Christina McAghon wrote:
I think I figured out the problem.   I am using Barnyard to log the
events to a database.  In the signature table, there was an existing
entry for the sig id, which had the lower priority.  Once I removed it
from the signature table, it recreated it with the higher priority.

Of course by doing so (only deleting the row from the signature table),
you probably have bunch of orphaned entries in your event table that
reference a signature that does not longer exist. If you remember the
signature.sig_id of that sig, you might want to set event.signature to
signature.sig_id of the new signature where all instances of
event.signature are like the old signature.sig_id.

Has anyone else seen this?  If so, do you manually purge/update the
entry in the signature table?

Bear in mind that all entries are interconnected in the database. If you
remove portions, you leave dead data hanging around. If you want to
meddle in the database by hand, I suggest you gain an understanding of
the whole schema so you can perform manual tasks without disrupting any
indices's.

Cheers,
Frank

--