Snort mailing list archives

Re: Writing/placing custom rules

From: mac subbu <dnacat25 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:03:35 +0530

Hi Thanks

Does where you place your local.rules  have any impact on other rule files

I would mean what is the precedence/impact of local.rules to other rule
files ..do they override them tec

regards

On 2/9/06, Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com> wrote:

My recommendation is to place your custom rules in the local.rules
file.  If you are going to use alot of pass rules, I generally
recommend making a whole different rules file called pass.rules, then
place your pass rules in that file.  Just make sure you include the
pass.rules in your snort.conf file.

However, rather than writing alot of pass rules, I generally
recommend using suppression instead of pass rules.

Check out the Snort User manual for details on suppression.

Joel