Snort mailing list archives

Re: HW Specs

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:08:25 +0000

--On 23 November 2005 11:59 +0000 "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk> wrote:

The sensor is currently monitoring a single 100Mbit (pretty much solid,
24x7) feed from a SPAN port and has all rules enabled (including bleeding
and community), with a fair bit of session tagging, and is utilizing
15-30% of one CPU and 188Mbyte of memory to do so. Snort is linked
against Phil Wood's modified libpcap and configured to use the maximum
buffer size. Hopefully the CPU usage will decrease once I've had a chance
to tune the rules properly.

A quick correction; I thought my statistics were lying to me, but apparently, the sensor has a single Gbit feed, rather than the single 100Mbit feed I was referring to in my original post above.

There is currently some packet loss, but I'm not quite sure at the moment whether it's the switch, the sensor hardware, the sensor->console link, or running on x86_64 that is causing this. My guess is the switch, but I've not verified this yet.

Alex.

Best Regards,
Alex.