Snort mailing list archives

RE: HW Specs

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:24:59 +0000

--On 23 November 2005 12:21 -0500 "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes () mcaschool net> wrote:

I have gotten snort and base set up and running (I think properly) but I
have not yet started to tweak the rules etc.

Right now, the sensor and the database are combined into one box set up
as follows:

Pentium 4 HT box, 1gb Memory 40gb HDD - not scsi
2 interfaces:
        - One Intel Pro1000 on the board -- has an ip on it -- used for
management
        - One Belkin 10/100 PCI card -- no IP used as the sniffing
interface right now

Depending on the chipset used on the Belkin card, you might get better performance the other way around. The Intel drivers are particularly good.

Running MySQL and BASE -- Set up per Patrick Harpers instructions

The sensor is currently placed between the cable modem and the Firewall
on a hub,  to monitor the outside traffic

I would like to be able to use the second Interface as a second sniffer
port, to take a look at internal traffic.

You have a number of choices; you can either run two snort processes (one on each i/f), or you can use bonding to tie two or more ports together to create a unified bond0 device and have snort listen to that. The advantage of the latter is that snort can then track state of connections that it sees on all bonded interfaces. OTOH, if you have a multi-processor machine, you may wish to run multiple snort instances in order to get the most out of the second and subsequent CPU(s).

I'd suggest using a third NIC, rather than using your management interface, especially if you go the bonding route.

To create a bonded interface on RH-alike OSs, do the following:

1) create rc.modules if it doesn't exist, and modprobe the 'bonding' kernel module:

# cat /etc/rc.modules
#!/bin/sh

modprobe bonding

2) create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

3) create/modify /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* for each interface you wish to be a slave of bond0:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=DE:AD:C0:ED:BA:BE
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

4) Restart appropriate services, or reboot.

5) start snort with '-i bond0' instead of '-i eth2' or whatever.

Also, I would like to hear others recommendations about how to set up the logging etc. Some have recommended using a separate box for logging etc, I don't care on that issue, whatever works well is fine with me.

Running the sensor and the database on separate hosts is worthwhile. Also, you should use a spool processor (barnyard, mdupit, or my preference, FLoP) in between snort and the database for maximum efficiency.

TIM

HTH,
Alex.