Snort mailing list archives

Re: Capture Email Content / Website Activity

From: <barryab63-ia () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:31:28 -0800 (PST)

The only drawback to this configuration is it introduces another point of failure to your network.  If for some reason
the snort box fails, the network is down.  The upside is that you can use the Snort inline functions and actually have
snort stop some attacks.  It really depends on what's more important to your client.  You could put an Ethernet tap in
place of your snort box, the tap is still a point of failure.  But, in most cases the tap will continue to pass data on
the network, you just loose the monitoring ability.

  I believe there are some papers on the Snort web site that talk about this.

  Barry

stuff () trackingsolutions ca wrote:
  Does this configuration have any drawbacks for security, reliability or speed.

Internet --> modem --> router --> snortbox --> switch --> local network

Thanks