Snort mailing list archives

Re: Capture Email Content / Website Activity

From: G Ramon Gomez <gene () gomezbrothers com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:42:42 -0800

stuff () trackingsolutions ca wrote:

The first scenario:
Internet --> Modem --> snortbox --> router --> local network
will not allow me to specify what machine is sending information. It would just give me the ip of the router. Right?
If you're NATing, yes.

The second scenario:
Internet --> modem --> router --> snortbox --> switch --> local network
this scenario will allow me to monitor the activity from within the local network.
Yes.

In the second scenario is it nessicary to run iptables or is iptables used to route the traffic?
iptables would be used to provide the bridging, so it's needed.

Also I do see the value of squid to monitor the traffic to the web.
Ok. To "monitor the traffic to the web", you need some form of activity logging. Furthermore, you need some form of data analysis to make sense of the logs, unless you intend to manually review all of the log lines. Within the context of data analysis of web logs, there are more tools available to squid then there are to snort, because snort isn't meant to do this type of work. Squid, on the other hand, is. Unfortunately, I can't explain any better than this why you'd want to use squid to monitor web activity. Using a proxy to audit user web activity versus using an IDS for the same seems intuitive to me (unless you're doing policy-based auditing, in which case you're not monitoring *all* activity, just the activity that might violate policy).

- Ramon