Snort mailing list archives

Community rules archive... request (well, suggestion)

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:13:52 -0500

I don't know how many snort users may be in a similar situation, but I have an issue with the community rules packaging the
sid-msg.map file with the name 'sid-msg.map'.  I use oinkmaster to update my rulesets, and use the multiple url feature to
check snort VRF, bleeding-snort, and [trying to add] the community rules.  As it stands, this results in:

/usr/local/bin/oinkmaster.pl: Error: a file called "sid-msg.map" exists in multiple rules archives

Other archives typically prefix this filename (e.g., "bleeding-sid-msg.map) which is helpful for barnyard by having it's startup
script do a 'cat *sid-msg.map > barnyard-sid-msg.map' to update this file on the fly.

Could this be changed in the community rules as well?  community-sid-msg.map?  Pleeeease :-)

Jeff