Snort mailing list archives

RE: Multiple alerts for a single packets

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:44:49 -0500

________________________________

Subject: [Snort-users] Multiple alerts for a single packets

1. If a packet matches more than one rule do I recieve multiple alerts for
it or does Snort
alerts only the first?

Multiple alerts.

2. In case of multiple alerts for a single packet - can I set a limit to
the amount of
alerts I will get for a single packet? can I unite all the alerts to a
single alert??

Nope.  You can use thresholding to limit the number of alerts in a time
interval by the type of alert
(http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_htmanuals/htmanual_2.4/node22.html#Event_Th
resholding), but this cannot be done on a per-packet basis.

PaulM