Snort mailing list archives

RE: New Snort 2.2 Rules

From: "Andre' M. DiMino" <tsamp77 () optonline net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:07:45 -0400

I've noticed the same thing in my configuration where Snort is much more
quiet than it used to be... False positives and "noise" seem to be at a
minimum now. This is definitely not at the expense of solid detection
however. I really put Snort 2.4 through some heavy tests with Nessus and
other tools, and it does detect everything just fine.

In looking at the rules, I noticed that many of the rules now use the
flow:established option. I might be mistaken, but I don't think this was
always the case with the rules. I think a preprocessor used to handle the
flow conditions. In a rule with flow:established, Snort will only detect the
anomalies that occur during an established connection. It doesn't alert on
the packets that are simply aimed at your network segment, but not actually
traversing an existing connection.

Do I have this right?

  _____