Snort mailing list archives

RE: Second Snort instance killing performance

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:01:58 +0100

--On 08 September 2005 09:51 -0400 Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:

I'm running libpcap-0.8.3-10.RHEL4.  Is there a significant advantage to
running something other than RedHat's libpcap?

Yeah, Phil Wood's libpcap is significantly more efficient.

I have to admit, I don't like messing with RedHat's package dependencies. They're not especially forgiving.

If you build properly-versioned RPMs, about the only thing you need to watch out for is Red Hat's upstream packages gaining a security fix that isn't present in the version you're using (as yum and friends will correctly avoid "upgrading" that package).

In this case I want to avoid having a single sensor and rule set for both
interfaces, since the traffic is dissimilar (one is internal, one is at an
edge).  I would rather build out a new sensor on a separate box if that's
what it comes down to.

That's another option, also.

PaulM

Best Regards,