Snort mailing list archives

Re: Second Snort instance killing performance

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:39:35 +0100

--On 07 September 2005 10:49 -0400 Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:

I've just run into an interesting situation with one of my Snort sensors.
I've added another interface attached to a new span port to my existing
sensor box and I want to run a second Snort process for that interface.
Same binary, same logs, but different config file and rule set for each
process.  If either the original process monitoring eth1 or the new
process monitoring eth2 are running, the load average is about 0.3-0.4.
If both processes run simultaneously, load jumps to 2.0+ and performance
suffers, packets drop, etc.

The server is a Proliant G4 running RHEL4 with dual Xeon 3GHz CPUs, 2GB
RAM, Ultra320 disks, etc. so it shouldn't be choking on this relatively
small amount of traffic.  Snort version is Version 2.3.2 (Build 12).

What libpcap are you using? Distribution standard, or Phil Wood's?

Anybody run into anything like this before?  The problem seems to be
specific to running two Snort processes, but I'm not sure where to
troubleshoot next.

One suggestion I have is to re-arrange your rules so that you bond eth1 and eth2 together to create bond0, then run a single Snort on bond0. Obviously, there are disadvantages to doing that, but advantages also (state tracking across interfaces, for instance).

PaulM

Best Regards,
Alex.