Snort mailing list archives

RE: Appliances using free software

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:51:47 -0500

--On Thursday, August 11, 2005 16:10:04 -0400 Jeff Dell <jdell () activeworx com> wrote:

I thought we were done with the marketing on this list...

Unlike Sourcefire, we allow you to use the free, open source
version of Snort instead of requiring our appliance purchase.

Before you say what a competitor can or can't do in a public forum you
should really check to see if it is true.

From: http://www.sourcefire.com/products/is_agent.html

The Sourcefire Intrusion Agent allows open source Snort users to do more
than just detect intrusions; it enables a single Sourcefire Defense Center
to aggregate event information from one or more Snort sensors alongside
data from Sourcefire Intrusion Sensors and Sourcefire RNA sensors.

Well, yeah, but *his* question was, "It is possible to manage snort agents IDS/IPS using a ISS console?"

The "ISS console" he refers to is Site Protector, and I doubt seriously that you can manage snort sensors with it.

However, you *might* be able to integrate the *data* from snort sensors into the Site Protector interface. I don't know that for certain, so you'd have to check the docs.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member