Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert on new IP in use?

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: 02 Aug 2005 13:46:54 +1200

Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com> writes:

Looking for a way to monitor a small banking network and generate
an alert when an unused IP address is observed. The current IP's are
not consecutive.

Example: we have 26 static IP addresses assigned to workstations and
servers. If a 27th (or greater) address appears on the wire, generate
an alert. (Note: not very interested in watching MAC addresses as some
of the IP's are behind another layer-3 device.)

Thoughts?

I use p0f hooked into a perl script which generates a list of the
active hosts for the day. It also does a DNS lookup, and anything
without valid rDNS gets mailed to me.

The code is actually pretty trivial, but I'm happy to share it if
anyone cares.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer