Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert on new IP in use?

From: Daniel Cid <daniel.cid () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:36:44 -0400

I didn't know about the NBS from Marcus. However, the OSSEC HIDS
does what I called the "FTS" (First time seem). The idea is very close to the NBS and very useful to avoid false-positives and an excessive number of alerts. Basically, when a new (first time seem) snort event is generated it will increase the "level" (or importance) of this event and generate an alert (mail notification, etc). From my tests, after a few days running the application, most of the snort false positives will go out and you will only get "new" and important stuff.

*The FTS from the OSSEC HIDS also works with ssh, ftp, su and sudo logs (I'm working to add support to other log types). For example, it will notify when the user "xyz" logs for the first time on the server "abc" . It also performs some statistical analysis+rule-based log analysis (in the xml format).

If anyone is interested: http://www.ossec.net/hids/

*a new version is comming soon with an integrated and scalable integrity check process.

Daniel

Williams Jon wrote:

I realize your question was posted to the snort list, but there is a
neat tool called Never Before Seen (NBS) by Marcus Ranum that does this.
I worked with it for a while, but got pulled off on other projects so I
haven't touched it in a while.  Should work well for your application,
though.

You can find NBS at Marcus' website:

http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/index.html

Jon