Snort mailing list archives

RE: Alerts of the ICMP relationship with smtp connection?

From: "Briggs, Bruce" <Bruce.Briggs () suny edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:03:27 -0400

The DF bit indicates that anything transferring the packet, such as a router, is not allowed to fragment the packet
into smaller chucks to get it to it's destination.
This could be done by PMTU checking, but the packet size is quite small for PMTU.

I'm not sure why your server is sending these out.

It looks like you have 3 rules which are logging 1 ping packet.  Either that or the packet is being sent 3 times with
identical info.

Bruce