Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alerts of the ICMP relationship with smtp connection?

From: Paulo <listassec () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't solve this yet. Please, anyone can help me?

Thanks again.

--- Paulo <listassec () yahoo com> wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks by your help. This alerts occurs when my
employees sends e-mail to some a few external
receivers using my stmp server. I have a linux box
with postfix ( version 1.1.13).

Thanks again.

--- Matt Jonkman <matt () infotex com> wrote:
I've seen HPUX systems ping before they send
email.
But it usually shows
up as a large ICMP Packet sig. Unless you have
that
off, in which case
it'd likely trip one of those.

It's not unusual though, and generally not a
threat.
Just interesting.

Matt

Paulo wrote:
Hi,

I am using Snort version  Version 2.3.2 (Build
12).
I have in my snort logs the alerts:

366 - ICMP Ping *nix
384 - ICMP Ping
368 - Ping BSDtype

I investigated my others systems logs and in the
time
that this alert is recorded is the same that
registered smtp connection in the maillog
arquive
from
my postfix server.

The source IP address in snort's log is equal
the
destination IP address in the maillog to smtp
connection.

This alerts can to be generated by my mail
server
when
it sends mails?

This alerts is a false positive?

Thanks by help

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
Have fun online with music videos, cool games,
IM
and more. Check it out!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network -
Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo!
directly into your own
Applications - visit

http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
Snort-users list archive:

--
Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is
confidential
and intended solely for the intended recipient.
Any
use,
distribution, transmittal or retransmittal of
information
contained in this email by persons who are not
intended
recipients may be a violation of law and is
strictly
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender
and delete all copies.