Snort mailing list archives

RE: Can Snort monitor multiple VLANs?

From: "Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi)" <BABasselgia () atsugi navy mil>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:49:04 +0900

I think that it depend on how you have the monitoring/span port on the Cisco
switches configured.  If the port is configured to send the traffic to the
snort box, I don't know why it wouldn't work.  If you try to monitor a GIG
switch with a 10/100 interface in your snort box, the switch is going to
start dropping packets when traffic gets to much for the 10/100 interface.

I have a snort sensor running on a Dell Precision 340 with 6 network
interfaces, 4 GIG and 2 10/100.  I'm running SuSE 9.1 and snort 2.3.2.  I
have the 4 GIG interfaces bonded together as bond0 and bond1, I'm using taps
with these interfaces.  One of the 10/100 ports is monitoring a Cisco
switch, the other is my management interface.

I have an 3 instances of snort and barnyard running, 1 each for eth0, bond0,
and bond1.  I'm using the same snort config file and rules for all 3
instances.  The startup/sysconfig scripts provided with snort 2.3.2 work
nicely for this.  Just copied the files to init.d and sysconfig.  In the
sysconfig/snort file I have INTERFACE="eth0 bond0 bond1".  The snortd script
then starts 3 instances of snort with no problem.  The unified log files end
up in:

/var/log/snort/eth0
/var/log/snort/bond0
/var/log/snort/bond1

I then setup 3 barnyard config files, barnyard-eth0.conf,
barnyard-bond0.conf, and barnyard-bond1.conf to process the unified logs
into a mysql database on a different machine.  I copied the snortd script to
barnyardd and modified it to start barnyard instead of snort.  Everything
works pretty good.

The whole trick to getting the above to work, is you have to have enough
memory in your snort box.  When I first set this up, I was dropping a lot of
packets, but I only had 256meg of memory.  I upgraded to 512meg and the
packet drop rate when down.  I've got memory on order to take the system to
1gig, I think that will really help.

Barry