Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stream/Packet Capture with Snort

From: Marc Norton <mnorton () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:48:47 -0400

You cannot capture packets prior to the event packet, usually. The exception is if the session data is being reassembled. If a specific stream is being saved for reassembly and an event packet comes along, all of the saved packets are logged. Otherwise, snort does not buffer up session data as would be needed to log packets prior to an event generating packet. Once a packet causes an event you can use event tagging to log the rest of the session.

Paul Melson wrote:

I'm using one of my Snort sensors (v2.3.2 w/ flexresp) to monitor, among
other things, outbound e-mail traffic.  Right now I am logging to a MySQL
database and can view the offending packet data on a per-alert basis.  In
the case of e-mail traffic, packet captures of lengthy messages (say those
with MIME attachments) don't always include the message headers.
I have been reading up on stream4 and stream4_reassemble, hoping that I can
force Snort to match on (and thus log) the entire "client" side conversation
to the database, but I'm not having any luck.  Here are the preprocessor
lines from my snort.conf file:
preprocessor stream4: enforce_state disable_evasion_alerts memcap 67108864
preprocessor stream4_reassemble: clientonly, ports 25

Unfortunately, I still only get the packet with the offending string in the
database.  Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,
PaulM