Snort mailing list archives

RE: Stream/Packet Capture with Snort

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:39:07 -0400

Marc,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately for my case, I don't think adding tags
to my rules will be much help in getting SMTP headers for messages that
trigger a rule with body content.  Can you think of a [minimally disruptive]
way to cause SMTP traffic to undergo stream reassembly by Snort?

Alternately, would it be possible to use a rule pair and tagging to achieve
what I wanted?  Something like this:

# Tag and log SMTP streams
log tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 25 (flags:s,12;
tag:session,500,packets;)

# Now throw SMTP streams that match my regex into the database
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_Net 25 (msg:"Bad Things(tm) in SMTP";
pcre:"bad\ things"; classtype: attempted-admin; priority: 2; sid:123456789;
tag:session,500,packets;)

Seems like a shot in the dark, but...

PaulM