Snort mailing list archives

Re: help in scripts

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:30:48 -0500

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 04:52:45 PM +0530 "Ks, Mithun (Corporate)" <Mithun.Ks () ge com> wrote:

could anyone guide me about this issue. In the directory cd
/var/log/messages  the messages will be increasing day by day. so once in
a week we have to delete this messages file for space. so we  are
planning to write a script for automatic deletion in a week by setting in
cron (timings). the doubt is where we have to write scripts. where should
we place this script( rc.d or init.d). In which language it should be.( C
or perl).

So you want to reinvent the wheel.....

From you're description, you're running some version of Linux. Read man
(8) logrotate.conf. Your scripts are already written for you. You just need to learn how to use them.

If you don't have a logrotate.conf, then read man newsyslog.conf, the more traditional unix way of rotating logs.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member