Snort mailing list archives

Problem: Snort Daemon - again -:(

From: Jiju Menon <security4rrm () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:47:22 -0500

2/28

I am running snort from command line in my Redhat 9 gateway machine
that has 3 interfaces.

I had received some responses on this issue to my earlier mails. But
the snort daemon that I implemented using INTERFACE=any DOES NOT seem
to detect traffic on all interfaces in the machine I want it to be
working.

Mr. Maria Lopez Hernandez asked me to put INTERFACE=3Dany where I
received the error

Feb 26 15:22:07 Gateway modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module 3Dany
Feb 26 15:22:07 Gateway snort: FATAL ERROR: OpenPcap() device 3Dany
open:  ^Iioctl: No such device
Feb 26 15:22:07 Gateway snortd: snort startup failed

Is there a possible cure for this?

Thanks.

HISTORY

Solution from Mr. Maria Lopez Hernandez

Just use:
INTERFACE=3Dany

But you have to change the script. What it's wrong it's the script
you are using. It specifies the variable INTERFACE but it doesn't
use it later to launch snort, so it won't work.

Change the line:
daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -d -D \
                -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

to:

daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -d -i $INTERFACE -D \
                -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

and it will work.

By default, it takes only eth0 and does not seem to change interface
even if I specify eth1, or eth2.
=20
Any help is welcome.
=20