Snort mailing list archives

help with Snort sub-processes stoping

From: Larry Wichman <larrywichman () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:51:02 -0800 (PST)

I am having an issue with one of my Snort 2.20 sensors
runinng on Fedora Core 1. This sensor sees an average
of 10mb of traffic/sec and generates a lot of alerts.
The sensor seems to work fine for several hours but
after a while it will only generate a few alerts/hr.
When I try to restart the processes it seems to
timeout. It takes several minutes and then I get a ton
of errors similiar to these:

/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: -L: no such pid
/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: <file>: no such pid
/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: Log: no such pid
/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: to: no such pid
/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: this: no such pid
/etc/init.d/snort: line 63: kill: tcpdump: no such

It looks like it cannot kill some of the sub processes
when I try to restart the service. It cannot kill the
service and I have two instances of Snort ruinning:

root      3130 17.8 92.2 534756 474140 ?     D
Feb10 294:32 /usr/local/bin/snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1 -g snort -D
root      5277 33.8  2.7 37308 14236 ?       S
11:47   2:25 /usr/local/bin/snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1 -g snort -D

Does anyone have any idea why the sub -processes are
not running when I try to restart?

Larry