Snort mailing list archives

Re: dropping packets

From: hchlai () netscape net (Hugo)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:10:26 -0500

Glad to have you here Marty. I'm running RHWS 3 on the sensors and I'm pretty sure my hardware should deliver the
performance I expected - 3.2GHz Xeon with 1Gig RAM. I have tuned stream4 preprocessor to 128MB and frag2 to use 64MB,
although I have not seen any memory faults yet. I would try to take Barry's advise and upgrade my libpcap to 3.8.3 (I'm
currently on 3.7.2) and hope to get a performance boost. Any further advise or suggestions are appreciated!

ps. I'm still at the implementation stage and that's why I'm running the verbose mode. I'll take it out once it go to
production.

Hugo

Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com> wrote:

Hi Hugo,

Try getting rid of the -v option when you're running Snort, that may be
draining some performance and since you're in daemon mode.  What's the
platform/specs of the box you're running Snort on?

      -Marty