Snort mailing list archives

Re: Calling all packet monkeys

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:12:26 -0600

--On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 07:00:59 AM -0800 SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com> wrote:

Hehe ..."someone brought in a laptop with a foreign
IP"    now there would be a sight to see, plugging in
your own IP and then expecting it to route back in...

OK, so Hi Paul in Dallas. I suspect that the TCP
session may have been started by an internal host that
was src: 161, dst: 135 and that the return traffic is
the answer to an established session over port 135,
and that your ACL allows established sessions first?

That's one possibility.

Just making sure, is the snmp traffic blocked at both
UDP and TCP? Hope this helps..

Default policy is deny. Neither 161/udp nor 161/tcp is allowed. We see responses (blocked of course) in the PIX logs from our host/0 to foreign host/135 and foreign host/8000.

It's a curiosity more than anything else.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member