Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort agent installation

From: "Snort" <Snort () InterCept Net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:31:55 -0500

To addon you may want to define "console" to us, whether it is acid,
snort center or something else... some consoles want snort information
in syslog format, others can take the standard alert files, and others
want it in a mysql database. At any point you will need to set your
snort.conf file to point to that format.

snort itself is a agent (in so many words) that collects, analyze and
logs suspicious traffic. You use a console such as acid or demarc (which
snort does not have) to monitor those alerts/logs and alert you to them.
When you download and compile snort, you download something that will
only collect and analyze traffic, you must then find another tool to
manage those alerts and hopefully something that will manage snort as
well.

Hope that helps...

Michael Brown