Snort mailing list archives

RE: hardware requirements

From: "Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi)" <BABasselgia () atsugi navy mil>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:52:21 +0900

Below are some graphs from one of my snort boxes:

The box is a dell 1750 server, 2.8GHZ, 1GIG memory, 2 x 36GB SCSI 15k hard
disks, built in dual NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet adapters.  Running
SuSE 9.1, MySql, Apache, Snort, Barnyard.

The box is listening to a span port on a CISCO Catalyst 4006.

The big change in the drop rate happened Monday when I upgraded libpcap from
0.8.1 to 1.0 using mmap mode.

I'm in the process of upgrading libpcap on my other snort boxes.  I can post
the stats for them when they're available if anyone is interested.  But, the
other boxes don't have GIGE cards in them, yet.

Barry