Snort mailing list archives

Re: hardware requirements

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:40:31 -0600

The only reason for mentioning the motherboard (etc) is
that people involved with heavy audio apps and asterisk (open
source telephone pbx) have found that some motherboard pci
implementations provide less then stellular bus throughput.
The throughput has had nothing to do with processor speed,
ram, or number of processors.

Based on those observations, I would have to guess the
performance of snort with GigE will vary dramatically from one
machine to another depending upon the exact mobo in use, etc.

I'm certainly not an expert on pci or gige, but have spent a
fair amount of professional time conducting network performance
assessments for clients in 40+ states. I have not yet seen any
gige implementation that could actually drive the nic interface
at anything close to rated speed in a production environment.
(Note: there are probably some somewhere, but I've not seen
them, and I've been exposed to a large number of implementations.)

As a strang recent example, we're trying to identify why a
specific client's server with two gige interfaces cannot sustain
traffic throughput greater then 170,000 bits/sec through a single
interface. We've double-checked all the basic stuff, and there
are no errors or discards happening anywhere, including the
correctly configured cisco switch that it attachs to. We'll find
the issue, but we're just not there as yet.

So, given the above and trying to relate back to the original
post relative to recommended hardware to support snort with gige,
I don't know that anyone can truly recommend something without
qualifying the system (DL380) in use (or Mobo), and at what traffic
volumes snort begins to drop packets. I'd be very confident the
throughput is substantially less then gige speeds, and I wouldn't
be a bit surprised to hear dropped packets occurring at
throughputs less then 25% to 50%.

Rich
------------------------
True.

We used the entire rule set and then singled it down
to worms, virus, and porn related entries.

Motherboard:  Humm... I used a DL380 for the Snort
install.  Got no idea about the motherboard.

Theo

--- Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com> wrote:

Right, so his original question should be reworded
to be
oriented towards when will snort begin dropping
packets,
etc. I've not seen anyone try to qualify
motherboards, etc,
under different traffic loads, rule sets, etc.

------------------------
Rich,

Yes this is true however most people use GigE
Cards
for traffic environments where major traffic, ie
1000
Meg traffic,  is expected....

Theo

--- Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com> wrote:

Greetings, I would like to know if anyone has
any
hardware recommendations to run SNORT on.
specifically im looking to put a GigE NIC in a
box and would like to know how fast a CPU and
memory etc etc.

Just about any box will work, however what you
really want to know
is... at what level of traffic will snort begin
drop packets.
In other words, its traffic volume dependent,
not
GigE dependent.

I've got several Win32 boxes running just fine
on
boxes that came
with GigE ports, but the traffic volumes at
those
locations are so
low that snort could have been using a 10meg
port.

post-holiday blues
Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net
t-shirt
from ThinkGeek.
It's fun and FREE -- well,
almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt
Snort-users list archive:

All your favorites on one personal page ETry My
Yahoo!
http://my.yahoo.com

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250