Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not logging all packets

From: James Affeld <jamesaffeld () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:30:15 -0800 (PST)

Is snort running at the same time as tcpdump?  How
busy is the network and how busy is the box monitoring
it?

If you have a sensor attached to a 100 megabit span
port on a switch with a 32 gigabit backplane, you
might  well expect to miss a lot of packets.

if it's a Unix/linux/bsd-based sensor you can run top
to get the top 10 running processes, and overall cpu
and memory usage.

Message: 6