Snort mailing list archives

Re: error starting snort

From: Jason Benway <benwaynet () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:22:29 -0500

Snort Version 2.3.0-1.1.fc3.rf
bleedingsnort rules http://www.bleedingsnort.com/bleeding.rules.tar.gz
snort rules url = http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2_2.tar.gz

thanks,jb

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:26:04 -0600, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
--On Friday, March 04, 2005 04:11:52 PM -0500 Jason Benway
<benwaynet () gmail com> wrote:

I starting trying to update the snort rules using oinkmaster
I have all my rules in /etc/snort/rules
I did try adding the bleeding snort rules, but I've commented them out
and I'm still getting the error.
Before I started updating the rules everything was working.
But now I get
ERROR: ./snort.conf(289) => Unable to open the IIS Unicode Map file
'./unicode.map'.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

First, which version of snort are you running?

Second, which version of the rules did you download?

Then we can figure out what you need to do to fix the problem.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member