Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syn Scan

From: Jeremy Hewlett <jh () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:21:10 -0500

On Thu, Mar 03, Dominic wrote:
   Does  snort alert on SYN scans - I have tried all others and I see the
   alerts but nothing for a SYN scan?

I'm not sure what alerts you're getting, so I'm just making a guess
based on the differences between portscan and sfPortscan.

sfPortscan does not make any distinction between a SYN scan and a 3WHS
scan. Both are TCP scans, and as such are classified as either a
TCP Portsweep or TCP Portscan.