Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syn Scan

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:08:33 +1300

"Dominic" <dominic () multilink co za> writes:

   Hi,

   Does snort alert on SYN scans - I have tried all others and I see the
   alerts but nothing for a SYN scan?

Depending on your preprocessor options, a SYN (or half-open) scan will
look like this in /var/log/snort/portscan.log:

Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4508 -> x.y.a.169:139 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4510 -> x.y.a.170:139 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4509 -> x.y.a.170:445 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4512 -> x.y.a.171:139 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4511 -> x.y.a.171:445 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4514 -> x.y.a.172:139 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4513 -> x.y.a.172:445 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4516 -> x.y.a.173:139 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4515 -> x.y.a.173:445 SYN ******S*
Mar  4 08:35:49 x.y.z.230:4518 -> x.y.a.174:139 SYN ******S*
<snip>

Of course, this is scanning the same port across different hosts - you
may also see different ports scanned against the same host - typical
of a 'nmap -sS targethost'

That's with the following in snort.conf:

preprocessor portscan: any 30 5 portscan.log

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer