Snort mailing list archives

Re: What is the relationship between flow: and stream4_reassemble?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:14:56 +1300

Brian Caswell wrote:

It works just as you would expect. flow only checks tcp state. tcp state is tracked on all tcp ports. TCP streams are reassembled only on the ports listed in stream4_reassemble.

OK, then what is stream4* preprocessors used for WRT rules? I know there are bunch of internal "rules" - if you like - within the preprocessors themselves (which I mainly end up disabling on our network ;-) - are real rules impacted by these preprocessors?

e.g. does it mean that if you have a rule that needs to look for content that may cross a packet boundary, then it will fail unless that port is listed in stream4_reassemble?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417