Snort mailing list archives

Re: What is the relationship between flow: and stream4_reassemble?

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () snort org>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:49:31 -0500

On Jan 7, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Jason Haar wrote:
Can someone spell out to me the relationship between the "flow:" option and the stream4 preprocessor?

What concerns me is what happens when I (say) have a rule that alerts on "flow:..." traffic to port 42 - but stream4_reassemble doesn't reassemble port 42? If the answer is "it wouldn't do what you expect", then are the current rules affected by this, and if so, shouldn't some sanity check be implemented to stop that happening (e.g "warning, flow keyword found in rule using port 'any'"...)

It works just as you would expect. flow only checks tcp state. tcp state is tracked on all tcp ports. TCP streams are reassembled only on the ports listed in stream4_reassemble.

Brian