Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hub recommendations

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:31:58 -0500

Matt Van Mater wrote:

I have 3 separate SPAN ports on Cisco switches feeding traffic to a
soho Netgear 8 port hub, which I then connect to my IDS as well as
other network analysis boxes.  I'm having a problem where one of my
SPAN ports gets errDisabled because of too many collisions coming back
from the hub.  This isn't a big surprise because the hub is now seeing
an average of 5000 packets per sec.

Hi Matt,

You're bound to have collisions when one SPAN port transmits at the
same time another SPAN port transmits.  I am not sure if either SPAN
port will try to retransmit.  If they do not retransmit when a
collision occurs, you're dropping all that traffic.

You might first want to consider exactly what you need to monitor.
Why do you need to dump all of that traffic in one place?  Could you
deploy one sensor per SPAN port, or deploy a very robust single sensor
with a fast bus/hardware/etc and PCI-X gigabit NIC per SPAN port?

You mentioned feeding all of these SPAN ports to another switch for
aggregation.  That might work (I'd like to hear the list's thoughts on
that), since the switch would be built to handle contention and higher
traffic loads.

Sincerely,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com