Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dont understand pf (openbsd) format

From: Sean Brown <sblinux () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:15:01 -0700

On November 29, 2004 8:16 pm, Matt Kettler wrote:
At 08:52 PM 11/29/2004, Sean Brown wrote:
It's unclear if OpenBSD generates real tcpdump files that any ordinary
tcpdump can read, or if they patched tcpdump to support them.

It doesn't, it is a modified format that the tcpdump in OpenBSD was
patched to
read. However, in the FAQ:

4.4 Does snort see packets filtered by IPTables/IPChains/IPF/PF?
Under OpenBSD you can snort just the PF rejects by using the /dev/pflogN
interface.

Since pflogd simply writes the traffic from pflog, snort should be able to
understand the log file, but I have tried to have it read the file and
attached it to /dev/pflog0 and it does not understand the traffic. Perhaps
the output format changed in one of the recent OpenBSD releases and Snort
was never updated. If so, the FAQ needs to be fixed.

Since so many people are responding off list, I'll take a chance to respond
on-list.

Summary - snort does support PF format log files via -r and pflog devices
via -i.

However, it only supports said format on a system which has a
libpcap/tcpdump version that is PF aware. If bpf.h doesn't define the PF
datalink type, snort will not handle pf files or devices and will generate
errors if fed them.

The PF log format is an extension of the list of data link formats
available to pcap, and has been merged to the main tree. The PF "data link"
adds a header that defines things like what happened to the packet and what
ruleset is responsible.

Newer releases of libpcap and tcpdump include support for this format,
older ones don't.

The Breno is running snort on a Linux box, and is trying to parse files
gathered from an OpenBSD box. It appears that some Linux distros include
the newer releases, others don't. It appears that Breno's Linux box has a
non-pf-aware version of libpcap/tcpdump. Since snort can't find the defines
it needs when built on such a system, PF support disappears. Running pf
files in generates an unknown data link type error as a result.

As an aside, the FAQ entry is semi-irrelevant to this thread. That faq is
about using snort to listen pflog DEVICES using snort -i /dev/pflog0, not
parse pflog FILES via snort -r /var/log/pflog. Two totally different
things.

I mentioned the FAQ because its the only place I know of in Snorts docs that
mention pf.

Saying the log file and /dev/pflog0 are two different things is like saying
the information coming down the wire is different then a tcpdump
file. /var/log/pflog is the saved output of /dev/pflogN, the only difference
between them is /dev/pflogN would have the data coming in as pf rejects it.
If snort can read /dev/pflogN then it can read /var/log/pflog, assuming of
course the rest of the requirements are filled. While originally the post was
about reading it on Linux, I have only ever tried it on OpenBSD and it has
never worked for me, neither reading the log file nor attaching
to /dev/pflog0 and so I added that I do not believe it is working. In fact, I
just tried it again with a config I know that works and it still does not
work.

The last time I asked about this, the only response I got was a kind, why
would you do something so stupid.

snort -i pflog0 (really quick nessus scan, didn't wait for the whole thing)

Snort analyzed 12 out of 12 packets, dropping 0(0.000%) packets

Breakdown by protocol:                Action Stats:
    TCP: 0          (0.000%)          ALERTS: 0
    UDP: 0          (0.000%)          LOGGED: 0
   ICMP: 0          (0.000%)          PASSED: 0
    ARP: 0          (0.000%)
  EAPOL: 0          (0.000%)
   IPv6: 0          (0.000%)
    IPX: 0          (0.000%)
  OTHER: 12         (100.000%)
DISCARD: 0          (0.000%)

snort -r /var/log/pflog
Snort processed 1100 packets.
Breakdown by protocol:                Action Stats:

    TCP: 0          (0.000%)          ALERTS: 0
    UDP: 0          (0.000%)          LOGGED: 0
   ICMP: 0          (0.000%)          PASSED: 0
    ARP: 0          (0.000%)
  EAPOL: 0          (0.000%)
   IPv6: 0          (0.000%)
    IPX: 0          (0.000%)