Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dont understand pf (openbsd) format

From: Breno Leitão <leitao () async com br>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:23:49 -0200

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:04:02PM -0500, Jeremy Hewlett wrote:

Does anyone have an idea on how likely acceptance of this is? Deadline?
<snip>
If you still need help with testing, let me know.

Jeremy, we did the patch and it seems working. Now snort could understand new
and old pflog format. I didn't test it so much, cause i don't have a lot
of openbsd logs. The old ones i found with Schubert at #openbsd
(irc.linux.org), but there are scarce.

I have some doubts about this patch:
   This patch need to run with libpcap "multi-dlt" version, if you don't
   have it, libpcap could not understand libpcap datalink(17 and 117)
   and snort gives errors. Should we detect that snort does not use a
   multi-dlt pcap and print a friendly message to the users?

   I have cut/paste the DecodeOldPflog from DecodePflog, and change some
   thing inside it. I know this isn't a good software engineer practice, but
   I did that because this do not change the "grinder" interface. understand!?

   I have defined DLT_OLDPFLOG as 17 in snort.c, this is crappy :-(.  any
   suggestion are welcome.

That is it.

Thank you guys.
Cheers,