Snort mailing list archives

RE: exporting snort logs

From: "Endre Szekely-Bencedi" <Endre.Szekely-Bencedi () hu-tcs com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:11:51 +0100

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The idea is that before contacting those people I should know why these
machines are trying to pass that router. :)
We are a consultancy company that provides services to another company and
we have a subnet in their network (A class ntework). So it is a huge
network.
The whole problem is this I believe, why these machines are trying to
contact it (what software does this, actually...).
I know only tcpdump to figure this out and tried it but didn't manage to
see anything understable. There is a lot of 'spam' (packets) for example to
an exchange server on customer side (that is normal).. and some packets
that had 'SMB' somewhere.. perhaps it is something that tries to access
netbios shares there, and those infamous netbios ports are denied.
Anyway I am not sure anyone can help me with this, I'll have to answer the
questions myself.
A hint on some tools / methods for identifying traffic would be more than
welcome, if possible.

Thanks for your patience, I'm a security noob who has some clues about
security / networking, but that's all. :) Sorry for that.

Greetings,
Endre Szekely-Bencedi

                    "Basselgia, Barry A

                    Mr (NAF Atsugi)"           To:     "'Endre Szekely-Bencedi'" <Endre.Szekely-Bencedi () hu-tcs com>,

                    <BABasselgia@atsugi        snort-users () lists sourceforge net

                    .navy.mil>                 cc:     Andras Kalmar <Andras.Kalmar () hu-tcs com>

                                               Subject:     RE: [Snort-users] exporting snort logs

                    11/24/2004 01:20 AM

Can't help with the export thing.

But, on your question regarding "communications administratively
prohibited".  This means the router that is sending the messages is
configured to block your network/ip address.  The only way to correct this
would be to identify who the router(s) belongs to and contact them to find
out why your being blocked.  So, this isn't really a "False Alarm".  And
obviously, if you have 100,000 hits something on your network is trying to
get through those routers.