Snort mailing list archives

Re: Acid shows sensors as 0

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:28:03 -0500

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:21, Gentian Hila wrote:
The line that configures snort to connect in snort.conf is uncommented
and is like this:

output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=******
 dbname=snort host=localhost

(******  is the password) and snort connects as snort user in Mysql
and db name in mysql is snort.

I have an empty event table.

mysql> select * from event;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

My question is: when you setup snort and acid, is it supposed to work
normally or do you have to configure other stuff and rules. My guess
is that it should work, even though it might need to be tuned. But
that's another story.

It should work normally.  How long has Snort been running?  I would have
to guess that it hasn't seen anything that it considered something to
alert on.  Until it sees something, for example someone accessing a web
server and trying to get cmd.exe,  that your rules would fire on, it
doesn't report anything for ACID/BASE to display.

Kevin
BASE Project Lead
http://base.secureideas.net
The next step in IDS analysis!