Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan logging to DB??

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:59:15 +0800

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:32:02 -0700, Steven Crandell
<steven.crandell () gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm sure I'm just missing the doc that tells me how to do this, but
try as I might, I can't find it.
I'm trying to find a way to get the alerts generated by this line in
my snort.conf
"preprocessor portscan: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 5 7 /var/log/snort/alert"
to log to the database in addition to the file specified.

I'm also wondering about the flow-portscan preprocessor output.
I have: "output-mode msg"
but does this mean that anything that the flow-portscan detects goes
to the db or some other place?

It may be worth noting that I have these two lines in my conf also.
output alert_fast: alert
host=localhost

I'm not sure if one or the other of them becomes a default output
method or something.  Any recommendations would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks,

You are not mentioning what frontend you are using, but standard ACID
or plain snort doesn't store them in database. The only front-end know
of that stores portscan and session statistics in DB is Sguil
(www.sguil.net, and it's actually much more then just a front-end).

Disclaimer: I am listed as a developer at the sguil project

Best regards
 Michael Boman