Snort mailing list archives

Re: problem running snort 2.3.0RC in debian woody

From: "Uung H.R Bhuwono" <bhuwono () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:15:39 -0800 (PST)

Mean while when i run the snort version 2.1.0 that i install using debs from backports.org it also give me error though
the error kinda different like :
/etc/init.d/snort it give me the following error :
"Starting Network Intrusion Detection System: snortWarning: arptype
65535 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked socket"
Can anyone give me a clue how to fix this one?

Jeremy Hewlett <jh () sourcefire com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 06, Uung H.R Bhuwono wrote:

"Initializing Network Interface venet0
ERROR: OpenPcap() device venet0 open:
unknown physical layer type 0xffff"

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Looks like Snort doesn't understand the venet0 interface. Patches
welcome ;)